OVERVIEW ABOUT HO CHI MINH CITY UNIVERSITY OF TRANSPORT
Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport (UT-HCMC) was established under the Prime Minister’s Decision No. 66/2001/QĐ-TTg, dated April 26, 2001. UT-HCMC is a public higher education institution under the Ministry of Transport in the Socialist Republic of Vietnam’s national education system.
The school was established in 1988 as the In-service Training and Fostering Center in Transport, and later became the branch of Viet Nam Maritime University. Until April 26, 2001, the school was renamed officially Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport according to the Prime Minister’s Decision No. 66/2001/ QĐ-/TTg.
With over 30 years of establishment and development, UT-HCMC has been training and providing high quality human resources for society, contributing to promoting in the industrialization and modernization of Vietnam. Currently, the University is training over 15,000 students and trainees for 17 subjects with 34 majors of regular Undergraduate program, 10 majors of Master’s program and 5 majors in transport of Doctoral program such as navigation, road, railway, urban transport, mechanics, automated electric transport, transport operation, project management, logistics management, etc.
The organizational structure of the University includes the University Council; President and Collective leadership; 15 research and training units; 10 function units; 7 service units and 4 sociopolitical organizations. Currently, the total number of lecturers of the University is 587, including: 17 Associate Professors, 82 Doctors, 369 Masters, 86 Graduates and 33 others (Statistics: 06/2021).
About facilities: The University is managing and using a total land area of 23.2 hectares across 05 campuses: Binh Thanh District, District 2, District 12 in Ho Chi Minh City; 1 campus in Vung Tau city and the 5th campus of the University is being built in Dong Nai province with the land area of 20 hectares.
The University has a high quality system of classrooms, laboratories, practice rooms, and advanced simulator equipment with the international quality standards. The library has over 10,000 book titles with more than 100,000 books along with other types of documents through signing agreements on database exploitation in the country and in the world. The University has the UT-Glory, a 2,000-DWT practice ship, and other facilities that have met the tasks of teaching, learning and scientific research.
Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport has been training and providing highly technical and scientific staff, as well as management staff with graduate and postgraduate degrees; Conducting scientific research and technology transfer activities in the transport and related industries to meet the industrialization, modernization and international integration requirements.
By 2030, Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport aspires to become a large and multidisciplinary university in Viet Nam; the leading scientific training, fostering and research center in transport and related industries; and one of the most prestigious and advanced universities in the region and worldwide.
The education philosophy of “Knowledge – Skills – Creativity – Integration” is explained and agreed upon throughout the University, specifically:
- Knowledge: Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport provides a full range of solid foundation of knowledge, professionally in-depth knowledge, as well as inspiring and assisting students in achieving their learning objectives. Students enjoy studying, being inspired and lifelong learning;
- Skills: Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport always places a high priority on putting the applications into practice; Students will be practiced, obtain hands-on experience in the actual working environment and amass enough soft and professional skills relevant to their field of study to be ready to work immediately after graduation;
- Creativity: Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport is determined to maximizing learners’ abilities via research and real-world applications. Students are capable of doing research and applying science and technology;
- Integration: Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport places a strong emphasis on connecting between the University, communities and businesses by organizing a variety of cooperative activities, international cooperation, extracurricular activities, international workshops to assist students in developing life and integration skills.
The core values of “Solidarity – Humanity – Quality – Creativity – Integration” are explained and agreed upon throughout the University, specifically:
- Solidarity: In the process of building and developing Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport, teachers, students and officials always prioritize solidarity and consensus; Solidarity is the power to help the University overcome all difficulties and challenges to fulfill the assigned tasks and achieve development goals;
- Humanity: Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport not only provides students with the humanity education platform that includes dignity, affection, intelligence, beauty, strength, but also encourages them to live honestly, forgivingly and tolerantly, to become beauty and nature lovers who have desire to improve and explain nature;
- Quality: Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport has constantly prioritized training quality in all of the University’s development operations; striving to become a high quality multidisciplinary university; adopting a learner-centered approach; orientating towards training development to meet the social needs and enhance students’ career skills;
- Creativity: Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport constantly encourages creativity and innovation and appreciates differences and diversity in teaching, studying and the University’s administration and development orientation;
- Integration: Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport has always actively strengthened, developed and diversified international integration and cooperation activities in all industries, including: training, scientific research, technology development, and transport consulting services in Vietnam and the region, thereby enhancing the University’s
The University has issued quality policies to orientate towards the University’s operations. The following are the specific contents that Board of leaders, all officials, lecturers and employees of Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport have committed to:
– Constantly enhancing quality, innovating teaching methods and conducting scientific research to provide learners with the best conditions for developing behavior and performance, in order to meet the demand for socioeconomic development of the country and international integration;
– Enhancing the quality of lecturers, as well as facilities and equipment to meet the University’s development needs;
– Promoting mutually benificial cooperative relations in training and scientific research with agencies, enterprises, employers, domestic and international partners;
– Creating the friendly, professional and creative learning and working environment;
– Applying effectively and improving continuously quality management system in accordance with domestic and international assessment or accreditation standards.
The University strives to become a high-level human resources training university with a focus on transport in the southern region and throughout the country, complete the framework of specialized subjects and training programs in accordance with the Ministry of Transport and nation’s human resources development plan, which includes specialized subjects that are regionally and internationally competitive and increase the number and quality of research subjects, as well as technology transfer to ensure practical application and implementation.
- TRAINING ACTIVITIES
The current training scale of the University is over 15,000 students and trainees at various levels and forms of training. The forms of training are currently being implemented at the University include: regular training, in-service training, inter-college transfer, degree 2. The University’s training levels include: Regular undergraduate program, master’s program, doctoral program. Besides, the University has also launched a number of training programs, including higher academic and professional education program, international cooperation program; and courses for updating knowledge and enhancing educational and professional qualifications in accordance with regulations.
- SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER ACTIVITIES
UT-HCM has placed a strong emphasis on scientific research and has made significant investments in it. UT-HCMC has been conducting a wide range of programs, subjects, research projects, technology and science applications, and cooperation with national and international organizations in the implementation of various scientific projects in term of the new technology application.
A large number of international scientific seminars or conferences have been organized at UT-HCMC’s, providing new opportunities for the officials and lecturers to keep up with modern technologies and approaches to scientific achievements in the world, as well as bolstering their future studies. As a result, the scientific research activities have rapidly developed in term of the increase of the research subjects. A great number of scientific subjects and projects at the State and the Ministry levels have been approved and put into practice.
The scientific research activities among students have also gained lots of encouraging achievements. The “Creative ideas of UT-HCMC’s students” contest has gradually become an annually traditional competition and attracted numerous wonderful and excellent inventions and ideas. In addition, UT-HCMC’s students have also achieved a lot of awards in several competitions such as the ASEAN Skills Competition, the Eureka of Ho Chi Minh City, the Vifotec at the State level, and the National Olympic contests.
- INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION ACTIVITIES
UT-HCMC has always actively promoted the international cooperation activities with foreign partners. The University has considered the international cooperation activity as the key to attracting international investment in education, technological transfer and reform.
Apart from the successful projects, UT-HCMC has been strengthening close relationships with a lot of international universities and institutes, including British Universities, Russian Academy of Sciences, the Netherlands Maritime University, the Australian Maritime College, some universities training road and bridge major in Taiwan, Japan, China and several other non-governmental organizations, etc.
Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport is currently the official member of the following organizations:
– Association of Maritime Education and Training institutions in Asia-Pacific (AMETAP), currently Global Maritime Education and Training Association (GLOBALMET)
– International Association of Maritime Universities (IAMU)
– International Association of Universities (IAU)
– Asia Maritime and Fisheries Universities Forum (AMFUF)
– Asian University Presidents Forum (AUPF)
- QUALITY ASSURANCE AND ACCREDITATION ACTIVITIES IN HIGHER EDUCATION
Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport has emphasized that one of the most important tasks of education and training is quality assurance and accreditation. On March 27, 2017, the University was assessed and granted the Certificate of Institutional Accreditation by the Center for Education Accreditation – Vietnam National University – Ho Chi Minh City. Besides, the University has built and applied successfully ISO 9001:2008 – Quality Management Systems since March 2012. The University has been upgraded to the ISO 9001:2015 version since 2018.
The University has officially become a member of ASEAN University Network – Quality Assurance (AUN-QA) since October 2019.
|Vietnamese Name: Trường Đại học Giao thông vận tải TP. HCM
English Name: Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport
University Code: GTS
The Department of Quality Management (synthesized)